The “U Wnuka” restaurant is located in the wooden
house which was built by Sabała’s brother Józef Krzeptowski in 1850. It
was the first two-storied house in the Podhale region. In this building
there used to be the first restaurant, store, post office and later the
first casino and reading room with a library. The
house was also a local cultural centre and it was visited by many famous
and distinguished Polish citizens of those days: Walery Eliasz, Tytus
Chałubiński, Helena Modrzejewska, Karol Estreicher senior, Mieczysław
Pawlikowski, Wincenty Witos, Kazimierz Przerwa-Tetmajer, Władysław
Orkan, Jan Kasprowicz, General Józef Haller.
On 4th March 1904, in the “U Wnuka” inn, the Highlanders Association was
created under the patronage of blessed Andrzej Bobola. Later on this
association was transformed into the Association of Inhabitants of the
In 1907 Józef Krzeptowski’s granddaughter married Jan Wnuk, the Lvov
restaurateur who arrived to Zakopane to cook for Henryk Sienkiewicz, a
famous Polish writer. Since 1907 Józefa and Jan Wnuk ran their own inn
and restaurant. The restaurant quickly became famous and won many
clients. It also became a favourite place of highlanders from all over
the Podhale region. After all Jan Wnuk had undergone his apprenticeship
at Foyet in Paris.
Jan and Józefa Wnuk lived on the first floor, over the restaurant. Their
six children were born there. At present only Henryk and Mieczysław Wnuk
are alive. Włodzimierz Wnuk, the author of many books about Podhale,
died in 1992.
For many, successive decades the “U Wnuka” restaurant has been uniting
the worlds of highlanders and newcomers to create
the unrepeatable atmosphere of togetherness.